Welcome to Young Athletes Club
The Autumn Term is underway.
Note: Half Term break is 2 weeks from 23rd October to 3rd November when there will be no YAC training sessions.
Go to How To Join if you want to apply for Membership of YAC.
Training Venue: Guildford Spectrum Athletics Track GU1 1UP – location details here
Our term dates and training times are:
Autumn Term 2017
Monday 11th September 2017
5.30pm to 6.30pm (note new time in Autumn and Spring Terms)
Friday 15th September 2017
5.00 to 6.00pm
6.00 to 7.00pm
Half Term 2 weeks!
Monday 23rd October to Friday 3rd November
Autumn Term Ends
Monday 4th December
Friday 8th December
Young Athletes Club is for athletes between the ages of 6 and 11
- We like to make it challenging, enjoyable and fun.
- All our training is tailored to meets the needs of young athletes.
- Our athletes compete in track and field Quadkids events in the Summer, Sportshall Indoor competitions in Spring and Cross country in the Winter.
- We run training sessions at Guildford Spectrum track on Monday and Friday evenings during term times.
- We have 300 athletes in our club and we cater for all abilities.
- We are proud to say, we love coaching our young athletes and our athletes love being part of our club!
Young Athletes Club started in September 2011 by Virginia and Tony Mitchell.
They are both GB Masters athletes who have won British, European and World Championships at 400m and 400m hurdles.
Their aim was to run an athletics club which took young athletes seriously and to offer quality coaching to teach children the skills required in key athletics events. The club has grown from 60 athletes in 2011 to 300 members today. Our athletes have represented the club at District, County and National level.
We have a fantastic team of 25 coaches who are England Athletics qualified and DBS checked.
We have our dedicated Membership Secretary, Gillian and Finance Director, Stephen and our parent helpers who ensure the club runs smoothly. If you would like to be part of our enthusiastic Young Athletes Club team in any capacity, please let us know.
Our club goals are:
- To ensure that by the age of 11 every child will have been taught the techniques of key athletics events so that they have the skills to be able to sprint, run middle distance, hurdle, jump and throw
- To encourage each child’s participation in the sport of athletics
- To provide progressive and challenging training sessions that are enjoyable, safe and fun
- To give the opportunity to compete in track and field events in the Summer, indoor Sportshall in Spring and cross country races in the Winter
- To provide Easter and Summer training camps for both members and non-members
- To ensure that each child has been given a good background in athletics training to move with confidence into the U13s age group at another club at the age of 11 if they wish to do so